Sunday, July 8, 2012

Views on the Schwarzbein Principle

Noelie asked in the previous post if I would jump in. I figured I would. I do love The Schwarzbein Principle, it is rather easy for me most of the time. The nice thing is since doing the low carb stuff years ago, lower carb plans don't bother me either. I try to make my worst days Schwarzbein days, with how much I work out right now, averaging 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day, mostly walking, that can be 30 grams per meal. Honestly I don't even eat that much most of the time. Although I will say lately I'm off because of stress. I still haven't figured out how to deal with it like I should. I haven't been back on it long enough to make it work the way I should. I'm not sure I can manage it for another couple of months other than do my best, and each day be a new day.

The point I wanted to make was what I learned while pregnant, when I worked with a dietician that would throw a fit if I ate less that what she thought I should as far as grams of carbs went. Never mind that my BS were stable, not as low as Berstein would like but good enough, She didn't like it. I learned to fudge the numbers. That is I ate as high fiber stuff as I could, that it would be in the Schwarzbein range of 90 gms in a day, still less than the dietician wanted, much less, but I refused to go there, but the net grams was much less than that. It was closer to Atkins levels. I found that as much as Dr. Schwarbein hated diets like Atkins, thinking they were out of balance, the truth was since she didn't do net carbs, if you ate high fiber, you were doing the other plans. It was an ah, ha moment for me. So that is what I need to get back to doing. I'm trying to eat less protein but I still think my body craves it, so I don't avoid it either.
So even though I know I need to eat less, and probably stick to the 15 grams per meal, and I need to get better at snacks, and even better at eating 3 times a day. I know it can work for me if I'm patient. The problem is I'm not patient. It took a long time for me to loose 50 lbs before, a very long time, try 2 to 3 years. I'm hoping for better this time, but I am doing heavier weights right off, and walking lots more. So my advice is, if you are looking low carb, look at different plans, although they may have different focus in how to do it, they are pretty much the same particularly if you focus on good fats, good protein which includes animal fats, and lots and lots of vegetables, it is manageable. We don't need fruit but if you need to eat them with whole milk yogurt and nuts. That was my treat when pregnant. It can be done.

1 comment:

Noelie said...

Thanks sis, I am so glad you will tell us how you are doing here and interesting tidbits on how to make it work for a family!